Monday, October 30, 2023

Coming of age

Dylan, You're about to turn 18. We've been working toward this all your life, haven't we? I want to take a moment to say I love you and I'm proud of you. This past weekend you sent in your first three college applications. I hope you find a place you really love and people you love learning and growing with. You also finished your Eagle Project to culminate your career as a Scout. I really can't say how pleased i am to see you achieve this milestone. That my father didn't make Eagle because he didn't complete a project, despite accruing an excess of merit badges, always felt emblematic of his unfulfilled potential. The symbolism of seeing my son exceed my father is in a way redemptive and also validating: With successive generations we are evolving toward our ideals. We also found time for a long conversation about life, money, danger, trust, sex, college, death, and family. I look forward to many more in the years ahead. You're a fine young man. It has been an absolute honor to watch you grow up. Dad

No comments: